Collaborative Lesson Planning Call
Tuesday Nov 8th 6 PM USA Central time
Wednesday Nov 9th 9 AM Tokyo Time
- What is Collaborative Lesson Planning? Arrive at a group definiton.
- Develop with another person the same type of lesson plan, negotiating on different aspects of the lesson plan together. Come out using the same lesson plan, but in different classes.
- Big Idea: Better lessons with less prep time.
- What is exactly a lesson plan? Daily activity list? Structured time in the classroom? Daily/weekly sort of chart?
- Map for how students will get to learning objectives in given time. Daily/weekly
- appendix to the syllabus?
- Lesson Plan Formatting: What should be the standard?
- Format for putting lesson plan on paper.
- Online Lesson Plans: Who has their work published on the web?
- Academic CLP: Articles and more literature on CLP.
- Charlie's CLP Talk @ Open Ed 2011 Critque
- Take some water I can drink up there.
- When I'm talking and answering quesitons, bring question into my answer so everyone knows the context.
- Stop using my hands so much.
- Dale Carnegie course on effective speaking.
- Please add your notes and ideas!
- Would very much like to hear Charlie's impressions of the OpenEd 2011 talk and subsequent feedback
- Is there common cause between ds106 and Collaborative Lesson Planning?
-> Put agenda on activity wall
* Make a CLP style guide (a la MLA or Chicago Style Guide ... for doing CLP
* Rubric worked well for Grandma's online courses. Ss knew exactly what I wanted and they either gave it or they didn't.
* Kill people's interest.
** You may think its elementary, but it needs to be more specific so we don't get in fights about points.
* Tech skills need to be more specific.
* Technological Skills / Group content needs to be more specific
** Need numbers for each of them.
** Something you'll be able to measure.
* Group lesson is specific enough.
Create a meeting outline for Grandma w/links
Have people actually do the work for lesson plans.
With each one in the beginning .... ask them what they expect the course should be, and what they expect to get out of the course.
* Start on new platform
Around 6PM EST
Run a for-fee course of CLP on P2PU
-> Charge ppl to sign-up?
Case Study of 1 Year Collaborative Lesson Planning
-> NY Times Lesson Plan article
How can teachers collaboratively plan lessons to deliver better classes while leaving resources for others to build upon?
My research in CLP started when I was a new English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teacher in Japan. I searched online for lesson plans and other resources I could use for my classes but was frequently frustrated by what I found, or, more importantly, did not find. I then made my own lesson (e.g. months of the year), which EFL teachers have taught before. I was re-inventing the wheel.
I feel this was a waste of my time. As Eric S. Raymond writes in "How to Become a Hacker", "No problem should ever have to be solved twice." My time would have been better spent tweaking a proven effective lesson plan for my own students. Then I could have fed my work back into the cycle helping EFL teachers around the globe.
I do not want other new teachers to repeat my experience. To that end I published virtually all of my lessons from China on Wikiversity (is.gd/kV2gMP) and am collaborating with other users to improve them. I edited a book edition of them published in early 2011 by PediaPress (is.gd/CrQyYp). Additionally I have co-organized two courses on CLP at The Peer 2 Peer University with Dr. Marjorie King and am currently co-organizing a study group there. That is the center for the online discussion about the subject.
At this presentation I hope to share findings about effective ways to implement CLP. I will illuminate best practices and share stories from my work in the field. Then I will outline a simple "how to" for others implementing CLP. Finally I will share the future possibilities and next year's goals for CLP.
Case studies typically examine the interplay of all variables in order to provide as complete an understanding of an event or situation as possible. This type of comprehensive understanding is arrived at through a process known as thick description, which involves an in-depth description of the entity being evaluated, the circumstances under which it is used, the characteristics of the people involved in it, and the nature of the community in which it is located. Thick description also involves interpreting the meaning of demographic and descriptive data such as cultural norms and mores, community values, ingrained attitudes, and motives.
What was supposed to happen?
-> Teachers around the world start developing lesson plans collaboratively.
-> 2 P2PU Courses
-> 1 P2PU Study Group
-> 1 Exhibition
-> 1 Wikiversity Book
-> 1 Wikiversity Resource Page
-> 1 Paper on a Potential CLP Rubric
* Reach out to scholars, been working with practicioners, time to include researchers.
* Talk to schools directly.
-> Also inroads to meeting people networking for more clients.
* Develop a new course, possibly one for-fee?
the goal of a case study is to offer new variables and questions for
- What is CLP? -> Water cycle
- History of CLP
- Wikimania -> p2pu -> etc.
- AAR of Year 1
- How to Implement CLP